Thursday, January 10, 2013

Third Annual Pet Blogger Challenge: Steady On Course

This is the third time that Amy of Go Pet Friendly is organizing the Pet Blogger Challenge. Good opportunity for pet bloggers to get to know each other better, and reflect on our efforts.

Ok! I am a day late! I have an excuse! Seriously!

Let's see how I'll do. I'm no good talking about neither my work or myself.

1. How long have you been blogging and provide a link to your post from last year’s Pet Blogger Challenge so we can refresh our memories.
I actually had to look... Apparently, I have started this blog in 2009. Wow, seriously? There is definitely something fishy going on with space-time continuum. So ... moving on. Oh, a link to my last years challenge.
2. What do you consider the most important goals you set out in last year’s post?
My goals has always been the same - being helpful to fellow dog owners going through health challenges with their dog. To take it a bit further, preventive care, recognizing early symptoms, finding the right veterinarian; those are also all important topics I blog about.
This year I have started a Show Off Your Waistline campaign. I am hoping to raise positive awareness of what our dogs should look like. Who's with me?

3. Have you made progress toward those goals, or have your goals changed over the past year?
Yes, I think there are owners who found helpful information or stories to relate to on my blog. I know people who sought a second opinion because of what they read here, and it really made a difference for their dogs. I think it's the "been there, done that" factor that gives the unique perspective. Just now, hubby's brother is going through serious health challenges with his dog. Our experiences proved life-saving.
My initial goal was to help at least one dog. Being able to help more is what gives my blogging purpose.
4. How often do you post?
I have worked up my way to posting daily.
5. Has your opinion of blogging on a schedule or as the spirit moves you changed?
If you publish on a schedule, why? How strict are you about your publishing deadlines?
I think posting on a schedule gives one some structure. It's harder to slack that way. The positive thing about a routine is that it becomes part of things and one doesn't have to force themselves to it after a while. It's just what happens.
I might write an article as the spirit moves me, but then I'll incorporate it into the schedule.
I usually post at about the same time but that is mostly because of how my days work out. I'm not too anal about the time of the day I post, as long as it makes it in that day.

What do you do for inspiration when it feels like you’ve covered every topic?
 Ok, ask me this question in about ... I don't know ... five hundred years ...? Blogging about dog health topics, I don't think one could ever run out. I haven't. My main challenge is "what can I write about within the time I have for it." Some topics take a lot of research to do properly. Give me more time and I'll give you thousands of topics.
How do you think your decision affects your audience? 
I think that everybody likes consistency. My audience has a pretty good idea what they can expect and when; I think that's a good thing.
How do you know when a topic is “post-worthy?”
I think knowing this in my niche--dog health issues--is pretty easy. Not every post will be useful to everybody but I'm hoping that every post will be helpful to SOMEBODY.
 6. How much time do you spend writing your blog per week? How much time visiting other blogs? Share your  tips for staying on top of it all.
That depends. Sometimes I'm just thankful for guest posts because my work schedule gets too crazy. I'd say I spend about 8 hours a week writing/researching on a good week.
I go through my main twitter list over dinner. That is the important bit--seeing what veterinarians are tweeting about. Then I go over my veterinary blogs reading list. I like to visit other blogs also, but that doesn't always happen.
Staying on top of it? I guess that's all relative ...
7. How do you measure the success of a post and of your blog in general (comments, shares, traffic)? Do you look strictly at the numbers, or do you have a way of assessing the quality of those interactions?
I like comments and shares as much as anybody. I do realize, though, that with my topics there isn't always much to say about them. What makes me really happy is when people, who's dog is going through the particular health issue, share their dog's story and progress or ask questions about our experience.
8. If you could ask the pet blogging community for help with one issue you’re having with your blog, what would it be?
Of course, they cannot lend me time ... and if they could I'm pretty sure I could never pay it back. I would like to ask the pet blogging community to join in, or spread the word about, the Show Off Your Dog's Waistline campaign, though. It is so important that we try to do something about the pet obesity epidemic.
9. What goals do you have for your blog in 2013?
My goals remain steady on course. The additional one would be to see more thin dogs this year. And perhaps, finally, find a worthy sponsor so I can devote more time to the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment