Saturday, August 31, 2013

C.E.T. Oral Hygiene Chews For Dogs CAN Be A Choking Hazzard

Since we are still working on Cookie getting used to having her teeth brushed, I decided to help maintain them with C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews for Dogs.


The enzymatic action, together with an abrasive texture is supposed to be effective in helping keep teeth clean when brushing is not possible.

Personally, I am not a fan of any hide chews but I decided to make an exception.

The guys like them well enough, so that part was not an issue.

One thing I always worried about with any hide type of chews was potential choking or obstruction risk.

I never give any of these things when I'm not monitoring my dogs.

One of the problem with these dental chews is, that even the size meant for large dogs is fairly small. Too small, really, to be able to remove the chew before they get to the end of it. At least for our guys.

Both JD and Cookie got their piece and chewed on it. They finished at about the same time.

Something about Cookie didn't seem right.

She was making mouth motions as if she got a piece stuck to her teeth somewhere. More importantly, she was panting but in a strange way. Two pants at the time, then she'd stop.

I felt around in her mouth but couldn't feel anything being stuck in there. But she continued to pant in this strange way.

I decided to explore further back in her mouth, and there it was.

All the way back, there was this long chunk, stuck across. She was unable to either swallow it or spit it out, and as she was breathing it was blocking her windpipe. It was soft and quite stuck in there.

Once I found it I got it out quite easily but this could have been much bigger disaster.

We got lucky this time but I am not willing to take my chances. I am not giving them these chews again.

Fortunately, we are well on our way with the tooth brushing, which is a much safer way of keeping teeth clean.

Did your dog ever had a chew toy incident?

***

Related articles:
No Skimping on Oral Care

From The End Of A Lead Line To Casa Jasmine: Meet Cookie, Our New Adoptee
And So It Begins Again(?) Our First Health-Related Heart Attack With Cookie 
I Didn't Know I Could Fly: Why Cookie Wears A Harness Instead Of A Collar 

No comments:

Post a Comment