Thursday, May 24, 2012

Veterinary Highlights: Maggot Debridement Therapy

This article on petMD generated many sounds of disgust and lead to a number of nightmares. However, this topic is very interesting to me. I am equally fascinated by debridement therapy as I am by the idea of helminthic therapy (which, sadly, presently doesn't seem available in veterinary medicine).

Everybody keeps calling for natural treatments, right? LOL

The use of maggots in medicine is neither a medieval torture or a new invention. Maggots are actually regulated by the FDA as medical devices. Maggots feed on dead tissue, effectively cleaning away tissue that is not healing and may be harboring harmful bacteria.

This is a process that is referred to as debridement.

Maggot debridement therapy is often used where other therapies have failed.

Image Wound Research
Is it a step backward for medicine? I actually find it quite enlightening. I think that accepting that it doesn't always have to be fancy shiny medical instruments that get the job done best is actually a step forward. (Not that I have anything against fancy shiny medical instruments.)

If you read the comments to the original article, you'll actually find some testimonials of people who have seen this work.

Never send a man to do a maggot's job.

Would I agree to use of this therapy for my dogs? No question. Would you?

Source article: Maggots: Thumbs Up or Down?

No comments:

Post a Comment